Do you often wake up feeling exhausted, unmotivated and wanting to go back to sleep? Do you need some morning motivation?!
Well, one of the most amazing things you could ever do for yourself is to create a powerful morning routine and I am so glad I did. It’s so important to fuel our minds/bodies with what they need, to perform to the best of our abilities! I’ve managed to perfect this routine over the last year or so and I want to share it with you!
Did you know? Creating a solid BEDTIME routine is essential for mastering your morning routine! A lack of sleep will affect your ability to maintain a healthy lifestyle so it is vital that you are getting adequate, quality sleep. Your mind and body will thank you!
How do you start your day? Below, I talk about some of the things that have helped me massively to start my mornings with tons of energy and lots of focus!
- Sleep. We have already talked about the importance of this so step one is to ensure you have fully mastered your night time routine. Now, it’s not essential that you read a book for 30 minutes or even 10 minutes before bed. Although that’s a great way to wind down, you want to get yourself into the routine of slowly shutting off. This means, NO technology before bed, NO TV and NO phones! Always aim to get at least 7 hours of sleep each night.
- Gratitude. Your probably in the habit of waking up every morning and reaching out for your phone to scroll through your Facebook News Feed or to check your emails. I know I was. Instead, wake up and think of at least 1 thing to be grateful for and give yourself a few minutes to just be in that feeling. This is the best way to start your morning! It is a powerful way to set the tone for the kind of day you will have ahead. Below is a 15 minute guided meditation gratitude video. This has been my secret morning ritual for the last few months. LISTEN to this and let the energy flow throughout your body!
3. BREAKFAST. We all know the health benefits of a good meal in the morning and I agree that this is the only way to stop feeling sluggish and tired every morning, even after a full nights sleep. Whether you decide to only have a glass of water upon waking up or grab something you can eat on-the-go, it makes a huge difference!
Research shows that establishing good breakfast habits has numerous health benefits, for both your body and mind! Studies have shown how eating breakfast can improve memory and concentration levels and it can also make us happier as it can improve mood and lower stress levels.
Just like any other organ in the body, the brain needs energy to work at it’s best!
4. MINDFULNESS. This practice can be as simple as paying attention to your breath and body. It can be done as soon as you wake up in the morning, while you eat your breakfast or on your way to work.
The benefits of mindfulness are huge! It could, in a literal sense, change your physical and mental well-being completely. In the words of Eckhart Tolle “Always work with the present moment, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
5. GOALS/SETTING AN INTENTION. This step is one that has really helped me move forward in life. Setting a goal and owning that goal is the real key to success!
Two years ago, I set myself 5 personal and professional goals and I can proudly say I have achieved almost all of them. I will create a separate post that goes into more detail about my own goals as I have so much to share! But, achieving a goal or coming close to your goal, is a feeling like no other. Set yourself some realistic, achievable goals, even if you have no idea what you want to do in life. Once you reach a goal, you will feel empowered to set more goals and I have found that writing these goals down is the most effective way to do this.
Setting goals is the only way to move forwards in life. It helps us to organize and prioritize things. We can simply chose to wander through life without a goal or a plan however, setting goals will help you live the life you truly want.
6. SMILE. Smiling as we all know, is contagious! This is your super-power!
Did you know that the endorphins that are released when you smile, serve as natural pain relievers in the body?! Even if there were no other benefits of smiling, i’m sure we would all be grateful for just this one.
This is how I chose to start my day before I leave my home every morning. Try it and see what difference it makes to the start of your day. Even a forced smile can lead to a boost in mood! So, if you find yourself feeling down in the dumps, make yourself smile. Look in the mirror, pull a funny face or crack a silly joke – even if its not funny! Or you could try the ‘pencil between the teeth’ smile – which research has shown, can actually make you feel better – even if it is forced! 🙂